We all know that spending hours every morning styling hair is not always the easiest option. Most busy lifestyles mean, on average you have just 20 minutes to yourselves before commitments such as work or the school run takes over. The easiest way for most people to create an impact quickly with their hair is to use heated appliances such as straighteners or tongs.
But as we all know using heated appliances can take its toll on our hair, so here is a guide on how to style your hair without heat!!
Most Heat-Free styling will always begin with freshly washed and conditioned hair.
- Braids: Right out of the shower, towel dry your hair and detangle it with a wide-tooth comb. Use just a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner from the ends to the mid-shafts of your hair. L’Oreal Professional Serie Expert Vitamino 10 in 1 spray would be great for this!! Separate your hair into three sections, and braid every section from the mid-shaft to the ends of the hair.
Let it dry overnight or for a good few hours – once dried remove plaits and lightly use your fingers to tease braids out. Finish with a small pea size amount of Serie Expert Liss+ serum.
TOP TIP – if you have thick hair you may wish to do more than 3 braids, this will encourage your hair to dry more efficiently.
- Mousse/Curl Enhancer: Another way to make waves in hair is to use product and gently massage it into the ends and mid shaft of your hair. Use a combination of Tecni-Art Bouncy & Tender to smooth into your hair and then spray with Tecni-art PLI for hold. When you’re ready to make it wavy, just flip your hair upside down and scrunch it with your hands going upward toward your scalp. Keep in mind that these waves will be created once your hair is all dry. Continue to do this every now and again as your hair dries.
- Twists: If your hair is naturally straight the best way to create a curl is twisting. Wait until your hair is 60% dry, then add a palm-sized amount of the above product to your hair. While it’s still damp, start from the top of your head and twist each strand until it starts curling up toward your scalp. Once it’s pressed against the scalp, pin the strand. You can use grips or curl clips to secure. Repeat steps until all of your hair is twirled and pinned. Let your hair air dry for and then shake the twists out.
TOP TIP – The above twisting technique works so well in naturally curly hair too. Follow the same above steps for really accentuated natural curls.
If you feel like curly styling is not for you, why not try some of the below ideas.
- Smooth Finish: Right out of the shower, towel-dry your hair and detangle it with a wide-tooth comb. Then, separate your hair into two sections with a side part. Comb flat and clip or pin the smaller side section back. Section by section comb flat to your head to keep smooth and start pinning or flat pinning small strands of your hair until it all lays flat on your head. Keep pinning in a circular motion around your head until all of your hair is pinned. You can either wait a few hours for it to dry, or sleep with it in a satin scarf overnight. Then release your hair by taking out all the pins and clips. Your hair will come out straight and silky.
To create volume: Use large rollers (size of coke cans) on 50% air dried hair.
Roll big sections of hair and secure them at the end with a pin or a clip. For extra body, roll the hair at the front and at the crown of your head. Wait a couple of hours until your hair is fully dry, then release your hair until it’s wavy. Finger through your hair and spray with Air Fix hairspray. You can also get rollers which you can sleep in – they have a soft center to ensure full comfort when sleeping.
- HAIR UP: Putting your hair up for work or play is always a fun way to experiment with different styles. It doesn’t have to be complicated – even the styles that complicated can be created very simply. YouTube is a great tool which showcases thousands of different video tutorials and how to’s. You can try quick tricks such as plaiting or twisting your fringe. Messy twist up, for a soft hair up or the sleek top knot!!
So we hope you have learnt many ways how to style your hair without heat. Check out our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more daily hints, tips and how to’s.
SMARTBOND is a unique system created by L’Oreal Professional, that protects and strengthens the hair during technical services (such as bleach and hair colour). The system consists of 3 components, the first 2 being used at the salon and the 3rd one at home. This new technology revolutionizes the strength of your hair after you have a colour service.
Sounds good.. but what does it actually do??
So without bombarding you with too much scientific jargon, we are going to briefly explain what SMARTBOND does to your hair . Your hair fiber and cortex is made up of Keratin chains and these are linked by bonds. The point of SMARTBOND is to strengthen these bonds to improve the quality, feel and look of the hair.
SMARTBOND will target weak parts of your hairs bonds to strengthen and limit stress to keep the bond in tact. It will also improve the overall finish of your hair colour as this will enable it to take more evenly. It will also reconstruct your weak bonds to reverse the feel of damaged hair.
So the first two steps begin at the salon, once you have decided to give SMARTBOND a go your stylist will add Step One to your colour mix. It works smartly during the chemical process to preserve the strong bonds and allow the reconstruction of the weak bonds.
Step Two is applied to the hair once the colour or lightener is removed as a pre-shampoo. It continues to capture the ions to allow the weaker bonds to reform and provides condition & shine to the hair with a blend of ceramides & polymers. Your stylist will then shampoo and condition as normal, the perfect end to a fabulous treat for your hair.
Step Three will help to re-enforce your salon service with an at home conditioner that continuously strengthens your hairs fibers week after week, allowing you to keep the outstanding salon result simply at home by using once a week for 1-3 minutes.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON’T COLOUR MY HAIR??? Don’t worry… SMARTBOND is suitable for all hair-types and textures, whether you have colour or not. If you do not have in-salon colouring services or you have no colour on your hair you can still hugely benefit from SMARTBOND. We will just skip Step One and continue the treatment as normal. This service is available in salon now, ask your stylist to upgrade your colour service today.
Recently our Gaudi team members Sinead, Lorelle and Maisie travelled to Guy Kremer Salon in Winchester to become part of L’Oreal Professionals SmartSquad. Exclusively using the SMARTBOND product before its launch in salons. They spent the day learning all about the product and its specialist technology, ending the day with hands on experience using the product.
These girls had the most amazing day and even one of our own (Sinead) got to use the product on her own hair. Here’s a little snippet into their day..
11.30am -The SMARTBOND product training takes place, showcasing the new product and explaining its incredible technology! All models go for ‘Before’ photos and all of the colourists/stylists including Maisie and Lorelle then for a playful SMARTSQUAD photo shoot before attacking their models.
12pm – Maisie and Lorelle started to work their magic on their fabulous model Sinead. They opted to take her hair both lighter and brighter – this is something that Sinead has wanted for a little while. She has however been building up her hairs condition using professional shampoo and conditioner and regular salon treatments. By using step one in the colour this will help to keep her hair strong and protected during the colouring process.
1pm – As the sandwiches and fruit emerged for lunch, Lorelle and Maisie finished applying their colour. This was then left to develop, during this time the girls took part in a mini shoot with the photographer for some funny ‘colour development’ pictures. They then got to explore the salon and take some time to relax.
2pm – As Maisie thoroughly rinsed off the colour, Lorelle was preparing a toner to soften the prelightened hair and remove any unwanted warmth. This also included Step One to again strengthen the hairs bonds. Once the toner has developed it was rinsed and Step Two was applied for 10 minutes. You then continue to shampoo and condition as normal.
2.45 – After a relaxing backwash experience, Sinead returned to Lorelle for a fabulous bouncy blow-dry and style in preparation for the ‘after colour’ photo-shoot!! The overall improved condition of Sineads hair can already be felt before drying has taken place. Once dried and styled the make-up artists nip over to apply some light make up on Sinead.
At first its serious so the photographer can ensure she gets the perfect capture of Sineads new hair, once the images have been taken its time for fun. The girls play around with props and do silly poses.
4pm – Then its time to pack up and say their goodbyes!! After an amazing day at Guy Kremer using and seeing results from the amazing SMARTBOND product, the girls are so excited to bring it back to the salon to use on everyone!!
For more information about SMARTBOND or if you want a chat with a professional about your hair please call or pop in and arrange a completely free consultation with one of our stylists who will be happy to help.
SMARTBOND is available at Gaudi Hair now, ask your stylist for an upgrade today!!