So the summer is officially upon us and holiday season is here!! There is no better excuse then the summer sunshine to spend the long days out and about exploring the outdoors.
This blog is all things you need to know about protecting your hair this summer and having Healthy Summer Hair!!
Summer can bring a few challenges to our hair. The summer heat can damage our locks, give us very oily scalps, and even turn our hair green when in contact with chlorine. But, fear not! We are here to your rescue and want to share some amazing and simple summer hair tips!
The first essential top tip to healthy summer hair is keeping your fluid levels up and drinking plenty of water! Its a known fact that water is key to a healthy mind and body, but it also does wonders to your hair. Remember that water will always hydrate your hair and scalp. In addition to drinking 2-3 litres of water a day, make sure that you are eating delicious healthy foods that are boosting hair growth.
Reducing heat exposure to your hair is one of the best ways to protect it. If you are going to spend a long day in the sun, we recommend covering your hair and scalp with a hat/scarf etc and using a heat protector which includes an SPF protection.
ghd Heat Protection spray provides an invisible barrier over your hair protecting it fully from the heat of dryers, straighteners and the suns UV rays!!
Another way of protecting your hair is to avoid heat styling as much as possible, i know this may seem a tough choice however there are some amazing heat-free hairstyle ideas.
Another way to maintain healthy summer hair is to limit the amount of exposure your hair has towards chlorine. As you may be aware, high levels of chlorine can actually turn your hair green. The key to avoiding the greenish color and chlorine damage is to prep your hair before taking a swim. Dry hair acts like a sponge, so if you can rinse your hair with tap water before your swim in order to ensure it will absorb significantly less chlorine. Alternatively you can use a deep conditioner to coat your hair prior to swimming. After the swim, rinsing the hair thoroughly and using a deep cleansing shampoo will remove any traces of chlorine.
It is usual for many pools, gyms and leisure facilities with showers to use levels of chlorine in there water system so it is always recommended to wash your hair at home … at least you know the water does not contain the high levels of chlorine you may face!
Perspiration, environmental dirt and quick drying hair products like hair spray and hard hold gel can cause dryness at the best of times, however during the hotter summer months it can cause even more damage. Ensure you limit amount of drying products you use and refrain from shampooing every day!! When you do shampoo and condition your hair it would be recommended to use something slightly more hydrating to compensate for the hotter weather and humidity. A deep conditioning treatment when left on your hair will instantly refresh and hydrate your thirsty hair. If you have finer hair and are concerned about weighing your hair down try and use a light leave in conditioner.
L’Oreal’s Vitamino 10 in 1 spray is a light weight conditioning spray which protects your hair with 10 instant benefits – protection for hair colour radiance, shine, soft feeling, consistency, heat protection up to 230 degrees, detangling, helps blow-dry, anti-breakage.
Frizzy hair is a huge challenge for most people throughout the year, however during the summer months it seems to grow in size the minute you step out the door. Keeping your hair oiled and hydrated is the key to helping combat frizzy hair. Avoid over brushing your hair, this will encourage frizz and make your hair more unruly.
Don’t be afraid to ask your stylist for their top tips on keeping your hair healthy throughout the summer months. They can advise you on your best options for hair care and colour, frequency of appointments and non heat styling ideas.
Enjoy the Holidays 🙂
The GOLDEN rules to good hair!!
The GOLDEN rules to good hair!!
Good hair doesn’t happen by chance, it happens with much care and usually at least a few hair salon appointments.
Now we all know that one person who naturally has utterly fabulous hair, whether they work hard at it or just jump fresh from bed, we can ALL have the opportunity to showcase gorgeous glossy hair!!
Following these simple hair-care tips will ensure your hair is at its best all year round and will make you the envy of all your friends!!
- It is not recommended to wash your hair every day, try to wash it between 2-3 times a week. If you have afro/multicultural hair its recommended you wash your hair once a week. This encourages your hairs natural oils to spread throughout your hair, giving it some good natural nourishment.
- When shampooing always shampoo twice, the first will always remove any product build up and the second will thoroughly cleanse your hair.
- Keep your fluids up, not wine or coffee but water can have amazing effects on both your hair and skin.
- Massaging your scalp helps to promote hair growth and well being – this is great to do when you have applied your conditioner to your hair.
- Use products with anti-oxidants to help prevent colour fade, check out the Vitamino Colour range by L’Oreal Professional. www.lorealprofessionnel.co.uk/hair-care/results/colour-protection
- Use heat protection for heat styling and drying, look at this spray by ghd hair perfect on both wet and dry hair. www.ghdhair.com/heat-protect/heat-protect-spray
- Also remember to protect your hair from the sun, many products contain UV filters to ensure the sun has no lasting damage, this range Solar Sublime by L’Oreal Professional cover all hair protection bases. www.lorealprofessionnel.co.uk/hair-care/solar-sublime
- Ensure you use both shampoos and conditioners recommended to you by your stylist.
- Use weekly conditioning treatments, recommended by your stylist to keep your hair in tip top. Conditioning treatments and steam treatments ensure your hairs ultimate health.
- Using a blast of cool water on your hair after conditioning helps to smooth your cuticle which enhances shine.
- Keep your ends healthy by having regular trims, even if you are growing your hair it is advised to have the ends trimmed every few months – This will ensure healthy continual growth.
- Always struggle to recreate your hair at home?? Remember styling and finishing products help to create a look – Do not be afraid to ask your stylist what they are using on your hair and what they recommend you use at home.
- When blow-drying your hair always use a brush. To create smoothness a flat paddle brush can be used. For curl and body use a round brush – the bigger the brush the bigger the hair. It is also recommended to use ceramic brushes, these retain the heat when drying to ensure the best finish!!
- To complete your blow-dry, finish with a blast of cool air. This will set the style and ensure maximum longevity.
- Use a comb when straightening your hair to achieve an extra straight and smooth look.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your stylist the best ways to keep your style – wrapping your hair at night in a silk scarf will keep smoothness and flatness. Plaiting or twisting your hair to sleep will ensure you keep curls and waves.
Be sure to check out our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more hints and tips on The GOLDEN rules to good hair!!