How to style your hair WITHOUT heat
We all know that spending hours every morning styling hair is not always the easiest option. Most busy lifestyles mean, on average you have just 20 minutes to yourselves before commitments such as work or the school run takes over. The easiest way for most people to create an impact quickly with their hair is to use heated appliances such as straighteners or tongs.
But as we all know using heated appliances can take its toll on our hair, so here is a guide on how to style your hair without heat!!
Most Heat-Free styling will always begin with freshly washed and conditioned hair.
- Braids: Right out of the shower, towel dry your hair and detangle it with a wide-tooth comb. Use just a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner from the ends to the mid-shafts of your hair. L’Oreal Professional Serie Expert Vitamino 10 in 1 spray would be great for this!! Separate your hair into three sections, and braid every section from the mid-shaft to the ends of the hair.
Let it dry overnight or for a good few hours – once dried remove plaits and lightly use your fingers to tease braids out. Finish with a small pea size amount of Serie Expert Liss+ serum.
TOP TIP – if you have thick hair you may wish to do more than 3 braids, this will encourage your hair to dry more efficiently.
- Mousse/Curl Enhancer: Another way to make waves in hair is to use product and gently massage it into the ends and mid shaft of your hair. Use a combination of Tecni-Art Bouncy & Tender to smooth into your hair and then spray with Tecni-art PLI for hold. When you’re ready to make it wavy, just flip your hair upside down and scrunch it with your hands going upward toward your scalp. Keep in mind that these waves will be created once your hair is all dry. Continue to do this every now and again as your hair dries.
- Twists: If your hair is naturally straight the best way to create a curl is twisting. Wait until your hair is 60% dry, then add a palm-sized amount of the above product to your hair. While it’s still damp, start from the top of your head and twist each strand until it starts curling up toward your scalp. Once it’s pressed against the scalp, pin the strand. You can use grips or curl clips to secure. Repeat steps until all of your hair is twirled and pinned. Let your hair air dry for and then shake the twists out.
TOP TIP – The above twisting technique works so well in naturally curly hair too. Follow the same above steps for really accentuated natural curls.
If you feel like curly styling is not for you, why not try some of the below ideas.
- Smooth Finish: Right out of the shower, towel-dry your hair and detangle it with a wide-tooth comb. Then, separate your hair into two sections with a side part. Comb flat and clip or pin the smaller side section back. Section by section comb flat to your head to keep smooth and start pinning or flat pinning small strands of your hair until it all lays flat on your head. Keep pinning in a circular motion around your head until all of your hair is pinned. You can either wait a few hours for it to dry, or sleep with it in a satin scarf overnight. Then release your hair by taking out all the pins and clips. Your hair will come out straight and silky.
To create volume: Use large rollers (size of coke cans) on 50% air dried hair.
Roll big sections of hair and secure them at the end with a pin or a clip. For extra body, roll the hair at the front and at the crown of your head. Wait a couple of hours until your hair is fully dry, then release your hair until it’s wavy. Finger through your hair and spray with Air Fix hairspray. You can also get rollers which you can sleep in – they have a soft center to ensure full comfort when sleeping.
- HAIR UP: Putting your hair up for work or play is always a fun way to experiment with different styles. It doesn’t have to be complicated – even the styles that complicated can be created very simply. YouTube is a great tool which showcases thousands of different video tutorials and how to’s. You can try quick tricks such as plaiting or twisting your fringe. Messy twist up, for a soft hair up or the sleek top knot!!
So we hope you have learnt many ways how to style your hair without heat. Check out our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more daily hints, tips and how to’s.